HISTORY OF WELLWOOD
The history of Wellwood Merino Stud has its origins in the year 1838;
Charles Rubidge purchases the farm Patrysfontein in the Graaff-Reinet district, relocating thus from the Grahamstown district and renaming it Wellwood.
He brings with him his flock of Merino sheep, as the conditions around Graaff-Reinet are more favourable for the farming of sheep, and the Wellwood Merino Stud is born.
Charles invests in the best possible bloodlines from the outset, travelling abroad to purchase Rambouillet rams and Josephine ewes, both of French origin, and known for fine wool and good meat.
Today, with more than 180 years and five generations passed, descendants of the same Rubidges and of that same Merino flock -- having adapted to environments both climatic and economic -- still reside on the same property; Wellwood.